We made it. 964 BC kilometres from Kelowna to our sunny little house (though it feels like a cabin) in Bella Coola. L was insufferable as usual in the car, but we're still married and possibly happier than ever! Really, you would not believe this place...as our new French-Canadian friend would say, "dis place is nature on steroid." But not the nasty kind of steroids where you get all hairy and way too macho. A nice steroids. The kind that Sammy Sosa took, not Mike Tyson . We've found Bella Coola to be an extremely hospitable place with the dream mix of rugged geography, kind country-folk, and a latte and high speed internet when the urge becomes too great to let pass. Add in the ocean at your doorstep and you can imagine the possibilities. There is just so much opportunity here for letting your jaw drop.
But most of that will have to wait as we settle into valley life and our work. My first week was one of the more stressful of late as I strained to adjust to a new way of doing medicine. There is fierce protection of the laboratory and x-ray technicians as they are the only ones in town, on call every hour of every day. You can't use them willy nilly, you have to really justify calling them in after they go home at night. As I am on-call one night out of every three, they make me look like the ungrateful, caked-up princess that I can morph into at times when stressing about my lack of a civilized life. The docs here, as in other small places I've worked, know everyone, their preferred inseam, and the amount of milk in their morning creamed wheat. They remember the who who did what, and what for. It's quite a thing to behold. I am in awe of their ability to fit their patients into the huge family trees that cast long and leafy shadows on generations of valley life.
Anyway, what are you up to these days? I've heard work is busy. I'm sure the weather will improve, isn't that what they said?
M
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the update M. That L really can get annoying when you're cooped up in the car with her for too long! Glad you've decided to stay married though.
ReplyDeleteHope you settle in to work and get used to the differences quickly.
Work is busy and this weather better improve soon. How'd you know?
K