Saturday, July 11, 2009

Intro to Bella Blogga














To sum it up in a word: awe-struck. The stunning scenery in this valley is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Walking around this quaint First Nations town set within a lush rainforest enclosed by imposing, snow-capped mountains on three sides and the ocean on the fourth, you feel as if you have entered another world. Perhaps the isolated nature of this valley is the reason why it has remained so charming; to get here you have to drive 12 hours from Vancouver, take a 13 hour ferry ride from Port Hardy, or take an expensive plane ride on a small airplane with Pacific Coastal Airlines. Otherwise this place would have become overdeveloped long ago. Since our arrival we've heard warnings from locals that we may never want to leave, or if we do, that we will leave with a dog. I've got to admit that I've already felt the temptation on both fronts.


We thought this blog would be a good way to share some of our experiences and pictures of our time in Bella Coola. We have no doubt that it will be mostly, if not entirely, our friends and family viewing the blog, but this is as easy a way as any to show you our pictures. Also, it gives us a chance to let some of our creative juices flow. Please don't expect greatness, or even mediocrity; sometimes we will just feel like throwing some pictures up and we won't have anything meaningful or interesting to contribute. When I say "we" I am referring to me and my husband, M, who will also be blogging from time to time. Why the anonymity you ask? Why the pretense, since we know who you are and no one else will care? Well, I guess the answer to that is you never know who might be checking up on you later in life. Who knows, one of us could be running for office someday and our chances will be ruined because we inadvertenly said something scandalous on this blog.


Anyway, back to Bella Coola. We are privileged to call this valley home for the next three and a half months. We intend to take advantage of all the area has to offer both in terms of outdoor activities and cultural experiences. Of course our pictures will never do the valley justice, so you will have to come visit and see for yourself. Don't forget: you might end up going home with a dog. Or you might just end up staying forever. -L

2 comments:

  1. Great writing L! Maybe you shouldn't remain anonymous, who knows, you could end up with a book deal. Isn't that how people get started in their writing careers these days? Bella booka, adventures with dogs in rural B.C., I can see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't believe how many authors have already written about Bella Coola - so I won't quit my day job. Adventures with dogs in rural B.C. sounds like a lot of fun, whether writing about it or not!

    ReplyDelete